Wednesday, January 6, 2016

267 Final: Sea Witch


For the 267 final, we had to pick a character from a well known book or play and design them for a staged production.

I decided to create the Sea Witch from Hans Christian Anderson's story The Little Mermaid. Anderson describes her as being eel-like and rather disgusting, so I turned myself into an eel, basically. 

I created webbed finger prosthetics using a piece of cellophane and latex (I traced my hands on the cellophane, outlined where I wanted the webs to be, and applied layer after layer after layer of latex until they were thick enough to feel off without tearing), and glued them between my fingers (this was by far the trickiest part of this makeup). I created an eel-like neck using a piece of plastic wrap and latex, and then painted it. I used temporary spray-in dye to dye my hair black, but I wanted it to look splotchy since she's supposed to be disgusting. I also bought a rotisserie chicken from the market so that I could dry out the bones and tie them in my hair. I also used putty to make my ears pointy (ideally, I'd have made a latex or foam prosthetic for this, but we don't cover prosthetics in 267, so I had to make due with what I had). Then I painted my face and hands--I wore a fishnet stocking on my head to create a scale-like texture.

This project was loads of fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment